Hi Jim

that's really useful feedback.

Just to clarify, the application server is running the JDE iSeries
servers. These guys want to have two of them so they can take one off
line for updates etc and always have one of them running.

The customer system has a history of being somewhat IO constrained
hence my questions about disk. I encountered a situation on another
machine where a guest and host virtually stopped during some system
operations (a save of the guest and a PTF load/apply on the host).
That guest was configured with only one storage space so that may
explain the issue. What it did do was cause me to consider how I might
isolate the IO for the guest from the IO from the host or come up with
a better configuration. (The guest in question was not configured by
me but I was trying to understand the options)

One of the scenarios we were considering was assigning 4 X 140 drives
to a user ASP and then building the Storage space(s) in there to keep
guest activity isolated to some specific drives, which was what
prompted my question. It sounds like I'd be better to assign those
drives to the system asp and then build 16 X 35gb storage spaces to
get my 500 gb of storage.

If there was a redbook or document that had more information regarding
approaches to these issues I'd be interested. So far my searching has
turned up precious little.

Thanks again for the responses, they are really helpful.