Thanks Alan. I had read threads on trigger programs. I had remembered to keep it simple. I had forgotten about the hassles coding the trigger directly caused. What I had envisioned was a SBMJOB in the trigger that would be run on an insert. As I understand it, the data queue would require a running monitor job to determine if an email should be sent. I think the volume is low enough that there would not be a huge number of submitted jobs. That appears to be how the vendor code works as well.

John McKee

-----Original message-----
From: Alan Campin alan0307d@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 09 May 2011 22:15:17 -0500
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Creating a trigger program

Have the trigger send a message to a data queue and have a data queue
monitor watch for messages. Have it send the e-mails. Put as little logic as
possible in the trigger.

The before and after images are just that. Images of the record before and
after the change. For a insert operation you only have a after image, for a
delete operation only a before image and for a update both.

Consider using my trigger mediator at www.think400.dk/downloads.htm. At
least read the read me on problems with triggers.