Theoretically....yes...

BUT...

I'd be willing to bet you're going to have a tough time with the
overlay you describe...

Scanning, Windows App, AFP Driver are all places where inaccuracies
can creep in. The end results is overlay elements that don't quite
line up to where you need them.

The AFP driver driver is a free method that works well for simple
overlays...where the inaccuracies don't matter.

Your overlay doesn't sound simple :)

Can't hurt to try and if it works let me know.

If it doesn't you're probably looking at some $$$ to
1) Buy a AFP forms design package such as Infoprint Designer,
http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/i/software/print/ipdesignerhome_i_ww.html
2) Pay somebody to create the overlay for you

Note: IBM does offer a cheap green screen alternative to Infoprint
Designer, the InfoPrint AFP Utilities for System i
http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/i/software/print/afputilhome_i_ww.html

HTH,
Charles