From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-
bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Loyd Goodbar
Sent: Thursday, June 04, 2009 5:55 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: BRMS CPF5140 Error

Advantages:
* No need to have the console signed on for BRMS to take it over.
* Once configured it's "fire and forget".
* If for whatever reason an error occurred (no tape loaded), I think the
worst condition is the system stays in restricted state until the time
limit
is reached and controlling subsystem is started.

Disadvantages:
* Console is NOT available during the backup. No way to monitor the system
at all, TCP/IP is down too.
* Cannot monitor status during backup. Must review DSPLOGBRM and job log
for
problem determination.
* If it goes kaput, must go into DST and force end the batch restricted
state.

Despite the scary-sounding disadvantages, I still prefer the batch
restricted state backup, if only because I don't need CONSOLE signed on
just
to "manage" an interactive backup.

--Loyd

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 3:54 PM, Jeff Crosby