If the console is not available, then what's the advantage of the backup
being in batch? Strictly the time limit? Or is the time limit available
with *CONSOLE also?

Reason I ask is the once (and only once) the operator did not ready a tape
in the MLB device. At 12:01am the backup fired off, couldn't find anywhere
to backup to, and sat there until I came in at 7am.

It's only happened once, but my next step would have been to a check in the
*EXIT point at the start. If no tape was available, I assume there would be
a way I could abort the whole thing, email me, I call the operator, wake her
up, make her go into the office (she has a key) and put in the $#@&%*$ tape.
<g>

--
Jeff Crosby