I don't see many UPD* commands in IBM's system commands - and for those I'm all for the first parameter being what is updated

update target() [from] source()

so that's the order I'd find intuitive. One example is UPDPGM, which has the program being updated first, then the list of modules that are the source of the update. Other UPD* commands fire up an interactive app where YOU do the updating - UPDDTA is an example.

CPY* commands work the opposite for me -

copy source() [to] target()

As I think someone said - at least that family of commands has models in IBM commands.

Maybe we need something like Perl's TMTOWTDI - there's more than one way to do it! NOT!

OK enough - back out to my camp chair in the yard and read a Dan Simmons novel about Dickens!

Later,
Vern

Elvis Budimlic wrote:
I agree that positional parameters are very useful in many, if not most
situations.

However, in this case there is ambiguity (different people may expect
different order) as well as possibility of a simple user error (an 'oops'
factor). If prompting was required, it would significantly reduce a
possibility of an end-user entering libraries in a wrong order, since prompt
text and keyword names would (hopefully) eliminate ambiguity.
Of course, to reduce the possibility of an end user error even further, some
additional design is required. Perhaps a data area that's in PROD but not in
TEST? Or a value within a data area? Then add a command validity checker
that prevents user from entering libraries in the wrong order.

Elvis

Celebrating 11-Years of SQL Performance Excellence on IBM i, i5/OS and
OS/400
www.centerfieldtechnology.com