i have some very basic (IMO) documents on my website in the downloads
section http://tommyholden.com

Thanks,
Tommy Holden

From:
rob@xxxxxxxxx
To:
Date:
05/11/2009 08:05 AM
Re: ILE Novice
Sent by:
midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx

This would be more appropriate for the RPG list.

I, too, recommend this redbook. I have a hard copy of it and have it
signed by Jon and Susan. I read it quite extensively and wrote numerous
notes in it.
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg245402.html?Open

Here's the V6R1 RPG manuals.

ILE RPG Language Reference
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v6r1m0/topic/rzahg/rzahgrpglangrefpdf.htm

If you look at
?What's New in this Release?
?What?s New in V5R4??
?What's New in V5R3??
?What's New in V5R2??
?What's New in V5R1??
?What's New in V4R4??
?What's New in V4R2??
?What's New in V3R7??
?What's New in V3R6/V3R2??
You can get by the fact that you have an older release.
Or you could try for V5R1
http://www.elink.ibmlink.ibm.com/publications/servlet/pbi.wss?CTY=US&FNC=SRX&PBL=SC09-2508-03

ILE RPG Programmers Guide
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v6r1m0/topic/rzahg/rzahgrpgprogpdf.htm

or you could try for V5R1
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=pub1sc09250703

I would store those on your PC as IBM likes to change their links on a
regular basis to get you to pay attention to their "flaming logos" and,
like our network consultant, keep themselves gainfully employed.

Did IBM stop sending hard copies of those prior to V5R1? I have a
tendency to pitch old manuals at developers desks to discourage them from
limiting themselves to only stuff they can find in the last hardcopy
version they have available.

Once you read the redbook, and do a few CVTRPGSRC and what not, sooner or
later you really should read:
ILE Concepts
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v6r1m0/topic/books/sc415606.pdf

There's about a bazillion things that you cannot do in RPG that you can in

RPGLE. There is absolutely no reason to generate a new program in RPG
versus RPGLE. I would think that being able to go back to V3R1 would be
good enough for even the JHHL crowd. As I told a new person back in 2000,

the only good reason to write a new program in RPG would be gunpoint.
And since you dropped software maintenance on all your purchased packages
and don't stand a chance of putting on a new version I don't see any
reason why not to use CVTRPGSRC on any old program before modifying it.

One coworkers first RPGLE program was a "have to" because he had to use a
file with a bigger record layout than RPG/400 would support. (Some
external insurance interface.)

Wait until you earn your subprocedure badge Cubby!