From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Kirk Goins
Sent: Friday, March 20, 2009 12:57 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Copy Load Source

Robert Gray wrote:
I'm moving data and load source from 12 35GB drives to 4 141GB drives in a
different CEC. I will need to add the disk to the ASP filled with the other
141GB drives after this 'copy disk' operation.

I have to move the load source from a 35GB disk to a 141GB using 'copy
disk unit data' under DST. The final result will be the disk is attached to
a different IOP. I can use HMC to set this new IOP as my load source and IPL
using the new disk and it should work. Has anyone done this?

Robert G Gray

Robert, not quite following you here but if you move all the drives to a
new system and then point(TAG) the IOP with the loadsource on it as the
IPL device, YES it will IPL and be fine. If you are changing controller
type then it's supposed to handle changing the raid striping as required
auto matically. I always turn raid off on the old system and rebuild it
on the new if changing controller types.

If the new system supports 141GB drives I would:
#1 Turn Raid off the 35GBdrives
#2 Remove as many 35s from the asp as possible
#3 Add the 141s and then remove all but the loadsource if possible
If more than loadsource is left repeat #2
#4 Copy the loadsource to a 141
#5 Move the 141s tot he new system and TAG their IOP as the IPL source
#6 IPL and Build Raid for ALL the disks you want in the ASP then Add
then to the ASP.

OR

With a LTO2 or Better yo could prob save and restore the entire system
from TAPE faster and not touch the odl drives