From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Chris Bipes
Sent: Friday, March 20, 2009 1:23 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Copy Load Source

The proper steps are roughly:
1. Add new disk to CEC using SST (System can be live but I have better
luck when shutting the system off before adding new disks.)
2. Build raid set with the 4 new disk
3. Add 3 of the 4 drives to the ASP (1 if for system and load source.)
4. Deal locate the old drives using STRASPBAL TYPE(*ENDALC)
5. Move the data off of the drives, this can include the load source as
well. (note that this does not move the necessary boot data off of the
load source.)
6. The rest is done in DST, so boot to DST.
7. Move the load source to the drive that was not added to the ASP. It
should be the only unallocated drive in the system.
8. Remove all the old drives from the ASP at this time. Since you live
moved the data, it should not take long.
9. End the raid on these old drives.
10. Shut the system off and remove the old drives.
11. Now IBM says you should put the new load source in the same spot as
the old one but I believe you can use your HMC to relocate the load
source.

I basically did this not too long ago, but replaced 12 17GB with 12
35GB's and had to do it a piece at a time as I had no empty drive slots.

Chris Bipes
Director of Information Services
CrossCheck, Inc.