Thank you Evan for trying. You are helping me narrow down the search.

How do you know the passwords are the same?

I have my 5250 set to bypass the signon, using my windows user profile and
password. It signs me on with out fail every time.

what happens if you enter the user/password combination that is failing
manually ?

I get the repeating prompt for connection that I mentioned in my original
post.

Have you considered changing the password at both ends (i.e. windows and
iSeries) to be sure they are the same ?

I just changed both passwords this week. It is exhibiting the same failure
both before and after the password change, and before and after all reboots.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks again!

Jim