John,

Only the older boxes needed a "primary" partition, think of it as a
place to host the configuration of the other partitions. IBM
recommend that the primary partition be a small one that was not used
for any other work, ie. production or development. So if you wanted
for instance a Production LPAR, a QA LPAR, and a Development LPAR,
you'd end up setting up 4 partitions of of which would be the
"primary".

With the newer boxes POWER5/POWER6, the HMC controls the configuration
of the partitions. No primary needed.

In addition, with the POWER6 you can "host" or guest an IBM i OS
partition from another IBM i OS partition. The benefit to doing so is
that with a regular LPAR, you have to have at least a dedicated disk
controller + DASD. On a hosted partition, the Controller + DASD is
virtualized from the guesting partition.

HTH,
Charles

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 10:55 AM, McKown, John