On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 5:51 PM, Pete Helgren <Pete@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
and posted here. But, this is a pre-installed, fully configured system,
so it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to start the thing up and log in
the first time.

I've had problems with IBMs preloads more than once. System shipped
configured for HMC when ordered with Twinax (and no HMC anywhere near
it, requiring a SP reset).

Systems with the wrong console type (and correct order), i see them
every second month. We have quite a high throughput on machines as we
have many small customers running 520/515/M15, maybe they take more
care with the bigger machines.

little bit different than the usual i installation. We have a "chassis"
to deal with and, at least that part, was easy. I was able to start the
BCS, connect to AMM, and see the blade with no problems. It seems that
the VIOS on the blade might be the issue. Or at least, connecting to
VIOS on the blade is the issue.

Yeah, the problem is somewhere between VIOS and the AMM.

I have taken more of an "end user" approach to starting this thing up,
primarily to understand what it takes, technically, to get this thing up
and running.

I consider setting up a server a System Engineers task - a fully
qualified technician. No end user will ever be able to start a system.

And whenever Developers touch Ops/Eng stuff, we just get a bigger mess :)

You and Lukas may have opted for the scratch install
approach and that is a great way to get your hands dirty with the
hardware. But, most installations are going to ship pre-installed, and
it should be a pretty easy, step by step approach to get up and running

I've always ever had problems with preinstalls, no matter which vendor
did them. So, in my opinion it's just a case of IBM being as bad as
the rest.

quickly or this platform will struggle further with adoption.

Well, i disagree.

This is adventure and a journey. I hope to document this
"pre-installed" approach so others can benefit.

Great idea! Keep us in the loop on how your adventure goes.