From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of John Taylor
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2008 10:56 AM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: System i Revenue Up

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-
bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Paul Nelson

I've got money that says I can build a union payroll application in RPG
whole lot faster than you can in Java/C##.

I've been writing RPG since 1989, and learning from the experts here all
along the way, so I have a pretty darn good idea of what can and can't be
done with it.

Yesterday, I pounded out 7 new reports in SQL Server Reporting Services
(against the i5 DB) of moderate complexity in 3.5 hours. Based upon my
experience, I know it would have taken me more than 3 times as long to do
those in _Report_Program_Generator_, and it wouldn't have any of the cool
features that SSRS provides for "free" (meaning no extra coding effort).

I did a couple more afterwards that included charts and graphics. These are
reports that simply cannot be written in RPG, unless your RPG program is
nothing but a wrapper for a bunch of Java calls.

RPG has its place... in the history books. ;-))

John Taylor