Good post Pete... it gives an actual explanation of why that fee occurs
(and makes sense to me). I hadn't thought of it that way, and also have
never seen a reason for the fee explained.

"Pete Massiello"
<pmassiello-ml@it
echsol.com> To
Sent by: "'Midrange Systems Technical
midrange-l-bounce Discussion'"
s@xxxxxxxxxxxx <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

01/16/2008 01:26 Subject
PM RE: is there no IBM Technical Conf
this year?

Please respond to
Midrange Systems
Technical
Discussion
<midrange-l@midra
nge.com>

Conference facilities aren't free. COMMON has so many simultaneous
sessions, that we require a great deal of session rooms. When people stay
at the hotel, part of their room charge off-sets the "rental" of the
conference rooms. So, if you don't stay at a conference hotel, why as
someone who does stay should I under-write your conference fee? I know its
not a popular fee, but when you understand that if everyone stayed at the
Super 8 motel down the street, the conference fee would have to be higher
pay for the session rooms.

We never will satisfy everyone, but when the board must make their
decisions, I hope they continue what is best for most people and for COMMON
itself. I have served my two terms on the board, and while I am no longer
member of the board, I have all the confidence in the world the remaining
board members.

The other alternative is to reduce the number of simultaneous sessions, and
let everyone stay where ever they want. I sure hope we don't do that.

Pete