On 20-Oct-07, at 10:58 AM, Paul Nelson wrote:

A client has posed an interesting problem. His employee master file contains
a 2 digit company number, a 3 digit division number, and a 5 digit employee
number. He needs to have some math done to generate a unique 7 digit number.

Does it have to be a number Paul? I can see how you could probably build a unique character Id from this - but given that there are 10,000,000,000 possible employees I don't see how you can have a calculated 1 to 1 relationship - it can only be done on a lookup basis as others have noted.

If you use the numbers 0 - 9 and the alphabet (minus I and O to avoid confusion) that gives you 34 possibilities per "digit" which is more than enough to cover the range you need.

Jon Paris

www.Partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com

This thread ...