From: midrange-l-bounces+ebudimlic=centerfieldtechnology.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces+ebudimlic=centerfieldtechnology.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of CRPence
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 3:55 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: RTVDDMF?

If the file is used in an OPNDBF or SBMRMTCMD, then the CPI9200 has
the replacement data &4 that should provide the remote system name.
Repeating rcvmsg first for *last, then *previous until that message is
encountered. Also using the QDBRTVFD or DSPFD for SYSTEM(*RMT) against
the file would log the CPI9160 [for TCP/IP, or for APPC a CPI9150 as I
recall] for a new connection in the job; i.e. after RCLDDMCNV.

An obvious answer is already stated as a known; i.e.:
DSPFD FILE(thefile) TYPE(*ATR) OUTPUT(*OUTFILE) FILEATR(*DDMF)
OUTFILE(QTEMP/FDDDMF) OUTMBR(*FIRST *ADD) SYSTEM(*LCL)

There seem to be two questions. One question is the how-to "retrieve
the remote location name from a DDM file" and the other seems to ask if
there is "something that already does it". Is the impetus to find an
already completed/functional feature that is an effective RTVDDMF, that
can be invoked directly from a CLP or REXX; presumably one that is
implemented using the DSPFD to an output file?

Probably not of interest, but because CHGDDMF has a prompt override
program which sets the values of *SAME to the current value, using an
interactive selective prompting request can be used to make an effective
retrieve function. The QCMDCHK can return a string with the value; of
course with the caveat, that the prompted interactive panel is presented
and must have Enter pressed to continue. I have an example I could post
that generates the string, but not with parsing to extract the value.

An even less attractive method is DSPDDMF to *PRINT and CPYSPLF, or
that output directly to a database flat file via an override database
file to accept the spooled output -- as externally described, that is
limited in available data.

Regards, Chuck