From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Pete Massiello
Sent: Sunday, October 07, 2007 12:19 PM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: Why buy 5733-Qu2 (Was: 5733QU2 - No Developer Discount)

Joe,

Everyone does get a few licenses of 5733-QU2 for free if they
have
QU1 and Software Maintenance (SWMA). Its 2 for a P05, and 6 for a P10,
etc.

What you have to pay for is other optional components, to
increase
and improve the product. If you were to use the free stuff, you would
be
amazed. It is great. Yes, the developer workbench is well worth the
cost
for a company, and so are the other 2 optional components, but IBM is
doing
this right. Get the OLAP plugin for cheaper then cheap, and you will
blow
your users right out of the building. Right out of the building with
their
shoes on and their socks laying on the front lawn besides them. IBM is
giving you the free licenses of just web query away to try things out.
You
do not need the optional components, the free stuff is good. But on a
P10
for 2400 you can get the optional components.

Quite honestly, I think IBM screwed up. When it comes to the
additional licenses, come on $400 for a P10 user, They should be
charging
more for what you get with web query product. For all that this does, I
think they could have doubled the price. People need to see this, people
need to order the free stuff, get it working and show it to your
management.
This is some cool stuff that people on this list need to install and get
working, then show it to people in their company and get them hooked.
This
might be the best thing to ever hit the system i.

To everyone on this list, If you have QU1, you are on
V5R4,
and you have SWMA. Then tomorrow morning call your Business Partner, or
IBM
(Whoever you deal with), and say I want 5733-QU2. Just the free stuff.
Get
it installed, and see how it works. See how existing queries even run
better. I bet our resident SQL expert Elvis can tell us how much better
the
SQE engine is over the CQE engine, and guess which one QU2 uses, and
guess
which one QU1 uses.

You can tell I am excited about this, as I have played with it,
and
it is definitely worth it. I have never seen anything this good on the
AS/400, iSeries, or i5.

Pete