From: albartell

From the sounds of it you can't install the product, period, without
first
purchasing. That is probably the dumbest idea for trying to sell software
that I have heard of. How are you going to hook people if they don't even
know what they are missing? IBM needs to head on over the Sam's Club and
see how they get people to buy new product - they let you eat samples!!
Sure they eventually ask me to leave after 5 samples, but at that time I
know weather or not I like the product (and I can skip lunch that day ;-).

I keep telling IBM that the way you get System i shop to use tools is to
include them in the base. EGL is a perfect example: include the development
tools in the base and then charge extra either for runtime seats or extra
developer seats. The people who couldn't afford the product in the first
place wouldn't have bought it anyway so you lose nothing there, but you
greatly enhance your chances of getting additional sales.

I would go so far as to add a small increment to 5722WDS to go towards EGL
regardless. And that's what I'd do with 5722QU2: give everybody a limited
license and tack a small fee onto DB2 to pay for it.

Joe