Maybe just my mis-inference, but it seemed to me that the quoted text suggested that PTF activity saves a backup of objects. So... this post is just to clarify for anyone that might have been confused as I was [now or later reading in the archive], or otherwise interested in some more details for PTFs.

Temporary applied PTFs take up additional storage for multiple copies of objects, including a copy in the PTF save file. The following links provide some details, and drill down to 'Cleaning up fixes' which is the third link:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/index.jsp?topic=/rzam8/rzam8fixconcepts1.htm
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/index.jsp?topic=/rzam8/rzam8fixsavefile.htm
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/index.jsp?topic=/rzam8/rzam8fixcleanup1.htm

FWiW, for non-LIC PTFs: Temporarily removed PTFs leave the objects on the system in the feature library, but renamed; the executable may be active in a process. If that PTF is then applied again, the existing objects are simply renamed again, to the original name; i.e. no restore. A PTF save file does maintain a copy of the objects, but exists for LODPTF [or for (re)distribution of that fix] only, and only ever contains the original copy of the objects for that specific PTF level.

I expect the same would be true of LIC PTFs [albeit the 'rename' would be implemented differently, but I would be surprised of any save activity]. Unfortunately none of the following links seemed to explain what really happens.
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/index.jsp?topic=/rzam8/rzam8fixinstallelectronic.htm
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/index.jsp?topic=/rzam8/rzam8fixinstallapply.htm
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/index.jsp?topic=/rzam8/rzam8fixinstallstorage.htm

So for lack of any docs to explain what happens, I just tried a RMVPTF SELECT(aLICptf) RMV(*TEMP) which gives CPD35A6 "Licensed Internal Code PTFs cannot be temporarily removed." That suffices to explain why having only A and B side is required, and why there is no 'rename' required for LIC PTFs. That is, the LIC PTFed code is effectively, _either_ on the B side temp applied _or_ on the A side perm applied.

Note that some PTFs do ship save file objects [and may effect save and restore, even during xxxPTF command activity], which can be confusing for what xxxPTF is really doing. I do not think LIC PTFs can even include SAVF *FILE objects, only binary streams which are displayed as Type=*TBL in "Display PTF Objects" -- except perhaps those including language feature fixes.

Regards, Chuck