the company can afford to upgrade the
machine (regardless of what type of machine it is)

I think I've complained about IBM's pricing more than once ;)

Then how do you explain the 8 days of downtime the company I used to
work for experienced when trying to upgrade our CISC system to a RISC
system?

I don't know. But what I do know is that it is entirely possible to
avoid those 8 days of downtime.

The cheap variant: Roll back if it doesn't work within half the allotted
upgrade timeframe.

This is what I usually do on release upgrades. I had to reload an older
Save 21 after I was unable to get a third party application from an
out-of-business working properly (It was a minor function that was a
dealbreaker - the customer didn't work this into our testing plans).

The expensive variant: Do the upgrade on the test system, which is the
exact same hardware as the production system.

and an application installed on EVERY SINGLE
desktop in the company (about 50 systems).

You should kick the Windows Admin. 50 Desktops and no software
deployment solution?

If you system is running fine, your application isn't dependent on new
functionality in later OS400 versions, and you hardware support is
being
handled by a 3rd party vendor, what's the driving need to upgrade?

The _POSSIBILITY_ of getting unforeseen consequences if you don't.

ISV's are not in a position to dictate to customers if and when they
should
upgrade.

Correct. But they should hit them with the cluestick whenever they have
the opportunity.