My question would be why do you think your question was not allowed? A close friend of mine asked at least 10 questions which were not answered and he doesn't feel 'dissaloweed' just that they were busy answering other questions.

As to 'performance is likely greater' I think not. IF you were allowed to run i5/OS on a p5 that had the same processor, same memory, same cache, same RAID card and same disk units as the 515 then performance would be identical. They ARE the same box built in the same plant on the same line by the same guys. The cost for i5/OS and DB2 and all that goes with that would theoretically make the price the same as well.

I believe what Ian meant was that shops running AIX for their primary servers don't know or understand i5/OS and therefore don't see a need for it. It's a mind set. They do what they need to do in AIX. It's not a technical issue at all. You are coming from the i side of the fence seeing p prices as lower and wondering how to get your i for less by running it on p hardware. Nothing wrong with wanting lower pricing, mind you, but you won't get it by running i5/OS on p hardware because they ARE the same.

- Larry

Steve Richter wrote:
I asked this question today on the iSociety chat with Jim Herring and
Ian Jarman:
"are there technical or performance obstacles to running i5/OS on the
p5 systems"

Ian Jarman answered: "No, but we have seen very limited number of
customers looking for that capability"

This makes no sense to me. Customers dont want to run i5/OS on a
system where the price is less than $5000 and the performance is
likely greater than what the i515 and i525 offer?

( I have to say "performance is likely greater" because my followup
question, which had to do with what would the CPW be of a specific p5
entry system running i5/OS, was not allowed by someone called "Angus"
)

-Steve