On 4/12/07, Larry Bolhuis <lbolhuis@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My question would be why do you think your question was not allowed? A
close friend of mine asked at least 10 questions which were not answered
and he doesn't feel 'dissaloweed' just that they were busy answering
other questions.

the Angus person told me on the whisper channel that only i515
questions were allowed. Looking back at the iSociety web site that
restriction is not mentioned. all it says is it is a fireside chat
with Jim Herring and Ian Jarman.

As to 'performance is likely greater' I think not. IF you were allowed
to run i5/OS on a p5 that had the same processor, same memory, same
cache, same RAID card and same disk units as the 515 then performance
would be identical. They ARE the same box built in the same plant on the
same line by the same guys.

the system p5 and system i5 are built in the same plant?

The cost for i5/OS and DB2 and all that
goes with that would theoretically make the price the same as well.

the cost for ( i5/OS + DB2 ) is $250 per user.

I believe what Ian meant was that shops running AIX for their primary
servers don't know or understand i5/OS and therefore don't see a need
for it. It's a mind set. They do what they need to do in AIX. It's not a
technical issue at all. You are coming from the i side of the fence
seeing p prices as lower and wondering how to get your i for less by
running it on p hardware. Nothing wrong with wanting lower pricing, mind
you, but you won't get it by running i5/OS on p hardware because they
ARE the same.

we will not get it for at least a few more quarters because IBM is
still trying to price the system at a premium. I was worried IBM
would shut the product line down if sales continue to fall. But I
think now that is unfounded. i5/OS is a done product. To continue
selling it IBM or whomever owns it in the future simply has to load it
in a p5, ship to the customer and deposit the check for the number of
licensed users.

but Larry to respond to what you are saying, I dont see how the price
for i5/OS would be the same on the p5 as it is on the i5. A quad core
p5 can be purchased for $5000. Customers then pay $1000 and load AIX.
They pay $thousands more and get user base and per core priced db2.
With i5/OS it would actually be simpler. Buy the hardware then
purchase i5/OS licenses. Done.

-Steve