To: "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, April 08, 2007 7:19 PM
Subject: Re: Diagnostic Aids -- LY44-0597

Jim

I thought I'd seen something, in fact, while looking up the
diagnostic aids - and there are some things:

i5/OS Diagnostic Tools for System Administrators: An A to Z Reference
for Problem Determination

is a draft Redbook available at

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redpieces/pdfs/sg248253.pdf

It has a couple chapters on SST and DST. It's over 600 pages -
there's an earlier one from 2001 for the AS/400e.

HTH
Vern

At 10:53 PM 4/7/2007, you wrote:

> these manuals are about the guts of these machines - they should be > hard
> to obtain...

Vernon - agreed, but a simple manual for the SST items a system manager
might use needs to be somewhere. I put new "customer install" disk in a
system recently, and 99.9 of what I can find is all Ops Nav stuff. This
customer has a twinax console, doesn't want me plugging my pc into their
network, has no Ops Nav setup. It seems IBM has buried or removed much of
the SST docs.
I got my instructions off this list, not from any IBM doc (and that is not
good).
jim franz