- I noted in your example you didn't include the cost
of 24x7 maintenance for your x346.

I didn't list it, but it was in the 8000CHF sum.

 - IXS also benefit from redundant power and cooling of the i so you
may
have had to kick in another power supply for your x346 as well.

Also included in the price. It's fairly standard to order rack servers
with redundant PSU/Fans.

- There is no tape drive listed for your  x346 so you'll need to add
that into the price (TWICE) too

I will agree that this is a valid point - i don't agree with the "twice"
though. We use both LTO tapes for our System i and our Windows Servers.
If we had a tape library, we could even attach both systems to the same
library.

Often they will work fine but I've seen more than a
few pc servers purchased with just a few huge disks where
the disks end  up being an I/O bottleneck.

True, but we're a small shop with 35 people. And our System i just has 6
disks too (mirrored) - they're too expensive to buy more.

Can you reboot the x346 from home when it locks up? You can with IXS
so long as your i is running. Vary it off, vary it on. Very Very nice

Of course. They have a management interface for that, similar to the
ASMI/HMC. It's called an RSA II slimline adapter (priced feature,
300CHF, included in the 8000CHF sum).

Of course the real and true strength of Windoze (and now Linux)
integration is when you get to two, three and more servers.

We're a small shop. Just one server is enough. If we would have that
many, we would've bought a Blade Center and a SAN. Which is also what
IBM does with it's BladeCenter integration strategy for the System i.
The blades access the system using iSCSI (formerly IXA). But entry level
SAN storage is still much cheaper than System i storage.

For example, 15kRPM U320 36GB Disk for an IBM DS3200 (entry level SAN)
retails at 576.- CHF. A 36GB 15kRPM U320 Disk for a System i 520 retails
at 1632.- CHF.

Insane. Just insane. I have no idea what kind of idiot came up with this
pricing scheme. If there's one reason to drop the System i, it's IBMs
pricing.