Software systems tend to be complex, and I while I agree that
more disciplined coding and software lifecycle approaches can lower the

rate of bugs in new code, I still think that the "compile, test, fix"
cycle will be with us forever.

Definitely, since this is the basis of emerging 'agile' development
methodologies. (Most of the agility being gained by scrapping the
endless, time consuming, and very expensive code review processes of
yester-year.)

The basic assumption is that the computer can check code faster and more
accurately than a human can, and that frequent testing catches bugs
earlier. And the earlier a bug is fixed, the less impact it has in time
and cost down the road.