From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Michael Ryan
Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2006 5:56 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Another one bites the dust

Probably because IBM, SAP, and consulting companies make more money when
it's not on i5. License dollars and services dollars is where it's at.
Selling h/w and s/w itself isn't the continuing revenue stream that you
can get from services. Just think, if some consulting business had three
Oracle DBAs in that company every day...day after day...billing away,
they could make a ton of money. Now suppose that that company moves to
i5. The contract Oracle DBAs go away. And now you've got some old guy
(like me) that can manage the whole thing. That's lots of dollars that
aren't being spent anymore. Great for the customer, bad for the services
company.

And there are some great consulting companies - like the ones on this
list - that would advocate the best solution for the customer. But...not
all consulting companies are that interested in their customer's
welfare. And, not all consulting companies go outside their comfort
zone. If they have Oracle people on staff, they pitch an Oracle
solution. When your only tool is a hammer, all your problems look like
nails. Such is business...