From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Cassidy, Alan
Sent: Monday, December 11, 2006 23:56
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Another one bites the dust

        ==> I was "on the bench" 2005 a few months, "not enough programmers"
for the IBM midrange/System i just sounds funny...

...If they offered equivalent pay for their System i programming needs, from
what I've heard the Oracle DBAs and application "tweakers" are paid, they
could get all the experience they want for programming anything they want on
the the System i. And they won't go years and years past deadline and
millions over budget like Oracle conversions.

...Last place I was at they were replacing the company's systems with
Oracle. German parent company had decreed this change worldwide. They had a
couple of dozen guys in Atlanta working full-time on just that and they were
already a year into it.

Met an Oracle saleman on my trip to Redwood City for my daughter's wedding.
He told me that the JDE World shops were stubborn and they just couldn't pry
them off the platform. Haha. I think it's new IT directors and managers that
just don't know what they're losing that make these decisions. And I think
we are going to be responsible for our own future to get the word out,
partners, programmers, users that know..

I think it's okay to bring these things up again each occasion like this to
keep it fresh in our minds and to help keep a growing "mind share" here. (A
hopeful "trickle up" theory :) ...)

--Alan