Loyd.

Good point. But a point I made a few hours back and buried in the activity on this thread is:

Since IBM did such a GREAT job on integrating all these things as you have well outlined, why did they NOT integrate the GUI ? Why do we need to even seek alternatives that can (and sometimes have to) run on other platforms? Had they done so, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Most of us would be thumbing our noses at those poor folks who have to piece together a GUI application on Windows, Unix or Linux. Think of 5250 and how well it is integrated into the whole system and then imagine something that delivered the same basic result but in HTML. It'd be cool and perform perhaps better than any alternatives.

The i, as I understood it, was "integration". IBM failing to integrate a GUI into a System i "breaks" the i (Hmmm, sound like the "rain in Spain stays mainly on the plain...."). As I said a while back:

"Give me a native [System i] GUI that I can quickly develop, performs better than other technologies and allows me to go where other technologies cannot go, and we'll have not only a rockin' box, but a rockin' box that sells."

I believe that.

Pete Helgren

lgoodbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Even better. The value is in the integrated operating environment, as
well as in consistency. As Aaron said, integrated security and job
logging. Add in work management, output management, ease of backup and
recovery, the ease of system management, and that built-in database
thing.

Why do people clamor for Apple to unchain OS X from the Macintosh? The
same reason why people here want to unchain OS/400 \ i5/OS from the
system I platform.

Now ask yourself: why doesn't IBM offer the greatest integrated OS and
database separately? The same reason why Apple locks OS X to the Mac
hardware: stability and consistency.

Argue all you want about IBM and Apple charging a premium for their
systems, but it is an integrated system. Since you control the hardware
environment, you can optimize device drivers, the kernel, etc. for the
environment. Simply, neither the IBM OS or Apple's OS X would work as
reliably on generic hardware.

The interactive tax... that another story.

Loyd Goodbar
Senior programmer/analyst
BorgWarner
TS Water Valley