midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

  7. RE: i5 vs. p5 (Haase, Justin C.)

And in regard to the "that'll be on the iSeries in 6 months" - the 595

I'm never quite sure what to make of it when that complaint is made. Like many,
I don't like it much when things take longer to reach OS/400 (or i5/OS). What's
to like about lengthy delays for our platform?

OTOH, there's that bit about "i = integration".

While being irritated by delays, at the same time I am pleased at the degree of
integration of many things. I can grasp that there's extra work needed under
the covers to get things to work together as well as they do. I can grasp that
Rochester and related groups simply must do more "under the covers". I can't
expect everything they want to provide to plug in the same as it might on other
platforms. Integration with security, etc., doesn't just happen.

In at least one sense, we pay more in order to expect (delays because we
expect) more from the same kinds of software. Sound dumb and counter-intuitive?

Tom Liotta