I read Thomas  Friedman's book The World Is Flat and concluded that it was
mostly big talk,  targeted at people who are, or who desire to be Masters of
the Universe  (borrowing a label from the movie Titanic).

 While broadband  communications are truly flattening the world, outsourcing is
making it more  hierarchical, creating wider distinctions between corporate
moguls and the poor  people who serve them.

 IBM recently  announced plans for expanding their "investment" in India from
$2 billion to $6  billion.  If you listen to the Webcast of IBM's kickoff event
in Bangalore,  which is available at www.ibm.com, you might be  left with the
same impression as me, of Masters of the Universe congratulating  one another
for their successes, while skirting the issue of labor  arbitrage.

 While Joe Pluta's  arguments about limited resources may not apply precisely
to intellectual  capital, which globalization is mostly about, he is right
about the destruction  of a middle class in North America, and perhaps even
more so in Western  Europe.

 India, having a  heritage, culture, and religion based on class distinction is
ripe for  exploitation.