Pete Massiello surprised everybody with a 30 second limit (while the
tradition had been 3 minutes).  I think that I was the only speaker to make
it in 30 seconds.

A few points:

o     The 30 second rule is impossible for someone to make a point.  If you
want to enforce a 30 second rule, cancel Soundoff.
o     Soundoff had a long tradition of going as long as necessary on
Tuesday nights (after Expo had closed down).  This got manipulated by many
IBMers into a combined "Town Hall Meeting" on Sunday night.
o     Pete's motivation is purely in getting Expo going back again on time,
something which I could care less about.  As the Board member in charge of
Expo, this is his job.
o     The tapping of the microphone was (at best) obnoxious.

I suggest that we go back to our basics, and move Soundoff back to Tuesday
night at 5, and let the pressure from whatever evenings events close it
down.  This may require some IBMers to spend an extra day in town.  Users
would half of their education benefit from COMMON to add wisdom to their
comments.

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

"i" comes before "p", "x" and "z"
e gads

Our system's had more names than Elizabeth Taylor!

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com
http://www.as400connection.com

             Pete Helgren
             <Pete@xxxxxxxxxx>
             midrange-l-bounce         Midrange Systems Technical
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx            Discussion
                                       <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc
             04/03/2006 11:23
             PM                                                    Subject
                                       Re: Did ITJungle say Common was a
                                       waste of time?
             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

Likewise Jim.  I think I was second to last and I even mentioned
"Getting on with it and getting of this name stuff". I then was cut off
on my own statements/questions that had to do with IBM partnering and
open source VAE's, and getting the System i and tools in front of a
younger audience....

I talked to Pete Massiello at the MOM and I think next Common they plan
to have a visible clock running and that the moderator will have some
control of the microphone (like on and off...).

Actually I was OK with the sounding off and even the naming rants would
have been OK if IBM hadn't addressed it.  However, given the fact that
Elaine Lennox did such a thorough job of 1. Apologizing 2. Explaining
the rationale and 3. identifying future plans, she rendered most of the
remaining discussion moot.  I would have enjoyed more analysis of those
plans and feedback on whether the approach was sound or not.  Instead it
seemed like everyone just wanted to let IBM know they were unhappy with
the "marquee style" naming Merry-Go-Round we've been on even though the
entire panel said they didn't like the name change routine either.

C'est la vie!  The fall Common town meeting will be better (!)

Pete Helgren