Thanks.....I be at the customers site tomorrow and really won't have a full handle on what, exactly they have, until I unbox everything. Looks like the system was shipped with V5R4M0 but I won't be sure until I get there. FTP connection speed at the site is SLLOOOWWW. Less that 256kbps when the wind isn't blowing.... :-) But I'll order the latest CUME and PTF's for V5R4M0 and V5R3M5 anyway. I'll be onsite for most of the week so I'll start the downloads as soon as I get up there tomorrow.

I have a basic handle on this now and I'll do some more reading while in transit and and then take it step by step when I get up there. Should be an adventure.

The 270 AND the 520 both only have a CD and tape drive, that is it. I would guess that they would both be flagged as an alternate IPL device. I'll check on that though, just to be sure. I appreciated the steps you outlined.

I'll post back when this adventure is over. Hopefully with a positive experience.

Pete

rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

You can order the cume, hiper and db groups in advance. I would. Check the ptf site weekly until your new hardware comes in and order the latest. Me, I download them using ftp versus waiting on CD's via snail mail.

Do you know the difference between "alternate IPL device" and "alternate install device"? For example, with my 3582 I cannot IPL from it - even using a SAVSYS tape. Because the 3582 is an "alternate install device", not an "alternate ipl device". I could IPL from a CD and then continue the install from the tape.

STRSST
1. Start a service tool
7. Hardware service manager
2.  Logical hardware resources (buses, IOPs, controllers,...)
1. System bus resources

Look for the * below
Description                    Type-Model
Bus Expansion Adapter 28E7- System Bus 28B7- Multi-adapter Bridge 28B7- Combined Function IOP * 2844-001 9=Resources associated with IOP

Description                    Type-Model
Combined Function IOP * 2844-001 Storage IOA 2780-001 Disk Unit * 4327-070 Disk Unit 4327-074 Disk Unit 4327-074 Disk Unit 4327-072 Disk Unit 4327-072 Optical Storage Unit % 6330-002 Tape Unit % 6384-001
%="Alternate IPL device"
*=Load source disk

My TAP01 cartridge is an alternate IPL device but on this monster I sure wouldn't do the full option 21 to that.