Actually, that is where I first started. I scanned the infocenter for something that looked like restoring a SAVSYS from one model to another, or something like that. I am pretty familiar with upgrading an OS on the same system. I am familiar with doing a scratch install. What I am not familiar with is restoring a SAVSYS from a model 270 to an i5 520, which is (I think) one of the options I can take. Both machines are at V5R3M0 (actually, I think the i5 520 will be at V5R3M5 but I am not sure).

I don't mind reading through the entire "Install, upgrade, or delete i5/OS and related software" section of the info center, I actually skimmed it looking for the upgrade scenario I think I will encounter, but I failed to find anything that seemed similar. I was hoping for a quick list of what to do and where to find it to shorten the "search curve".

Pete

vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

There are checklists and manuals at InfoCenter with everything well-laid out
for you - I highly recommend going there. Every scenario can be found pretty
easily.

-------------- Original message -------------- From: Pete Helgren <Pete@xxxxxxxxxx>
Without going into details (which I will research), can you give me a list of "to-do's" or how-tos when it comes to upgrading to a new system? I know there are probably many ways to do this but I'd like the basic list of steps (plus any gotch-cha's) . I am upgrading a model 270 with an integrated server to an i5 520 (with an integrated server as well). I do plan to do 1 LPAR with Linux. Or, perhaps "upgrade" is not possible here (in a software sense). Perhaps I just re-create the user profiles (only about 15 of them) from the 270 to the i5 and then restore the user libraries and the server storage spaces to the new i5 and be done with it. Again, I don't need all the details, just the basics, and any words of wisdom. I'll dig up the details. Thanks, Pete Helgren
--
This is the Midrange Systems Technical Discussion (MIDRANGE-L) mailing list To post a message email: MIDRANGE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options, visit: http://lists.midrange.com/mailman/listinfo/midrange-l or email: MIDRANGE-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives at http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l.