midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>   6. Re: utility programs? (Sean Porterfield)
>
>I'm not sure if there is a great need for it (or that it's really that
>hard to do - the idea just came to me today)  but how about DLTOLDMSG to
>clean up message queues?  We created QSYSMSG last year to get the
>"device varied off" messages out where they are easy to find.  We
>noticed last month that we still had messages from last July in the
>queue.  In our case, we're most likely going to save the last 120 days
>to keep the auditors happy (they have such silly requests, but this was
>easy to comply).
>
>For example: DLTOLDMSG MSGQ(QSYSMSG) DAYS(120)

Sean:

It is definitely that useful to me and has been for many years. I long ago
created command RMVMSGQMSG that used either the MSGID() or DLTBEFORE()
parameters to specify what messages should be removed from a message queue. I
used to get tired of token-ring beacon messages especially after our CE would
connect a PC at the wrong speed to our ring.

I thought I had it up on my old web site but I see it isn't there. I can upload
it and you can modify the source to customize if you wish. It's just a handy
tool I've been happy enough with.

Tom Liotta

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.