Hi Chris

I just found that doing remote support and having to specify a named device made
things more difficult without adding any value that I could see.

In the past I have used the Telent exit programs to allocate a device name
based on the IP Address (and in the process refused access to requests
from IP addresses and ranges that were not permitted to access the network))

The major drawback in my opinion is having access to a telnet that allows a
device name to be passed. On a very few occasions I have even ended up using
the MS Telnet client when in a hole and this is preferable IMO at least to
being in a position where I would have to download and install mocha or
something else to allow me access to the ability to name the device.

It seems to me that if someone knew the appropriate IP addresses and was able to obtain a usable certificate to access your system then the name of the device would
be a minor additional detail...

That said, I recognise that there is a price to be paid for security and that part of that is convenience, so I guess I could live with device naming in your environment
especially if it helps the auditors "move on" ;)

As an aside, if I was doing it again I would be tempted to go down the path of running the external telnet over SSH, at least for support staff. I haven't done more with this
idea than get Telent running across an ssh connection.

I've used a variation of the routing entry approach when running multiple QINTERS
to disallow/allow access to the system. In this case QINTER merely provided the
workstation allocation/entry screen. All jobs were routed to the appropriate subsystem after signon and no-one actually worked in QINTER which made ending and starting
application access (for green screens at least) fairly straightforward.

Regards
Evan Harris