Actually, there has been an interesting phenomenon in the iWorld. While Power Linux is a wonderful OS, and requires (only) a (re)compile of your applications to run on the Power 64-bit OS rather than the normal 32-bit Linux, this concept is alien to many companies. They must have been hit with Distro-A vs. Distro-B problems! It does seem that many Linux prospects think Linux is different if it runs on different hardware. So, the acceptance of Power Linux has been slower than IBM thought. I guess the disease of proprietariness is more pervasive than we thought!

What? Have you stopped the poppies ~again~?? :-)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don"
Subject: Re: Say Hello to IBM System i5!

Trevor, et al,

This brings up a interesting point from the Red Hat Summit conference last
summer.  Many keynoters  made much bullshit about proprietary systems and
proprietary vendors, etc.   But having been one that's had to migrate a
linux system from one vendor's distro to another vendors distro (Debian to
Red Hat in this case), and from talking with many other whom have had the
same phantasm, it would clearly appear that each distro of linux is defacto
its own proprietary environment in that not only do developers develop for
the distro and NOT for the generic linux definition, there are generally
substancial conversion issues to be addresses with converting an
application written to Distro-A onto a Distro-B system.  Ergo, this meets
my definition of proprietary in that it requires the original developing
environment to run on without major conversion adjustments.

So, brace yourselves as in the not too distance future, I expect to see not
just bifercations from the but polyforcations from the generic definitions
of linux.  And things are going to be harder before they get easier,
imho.  SO, I would expect in time to not see red hat linux, but just red
hat o/s...etc...

No, I've not been smoking poppies this afternoon... :)

Don in DC