We have auto config turned on for convenience of intermittent adjustments, such as PC users adding more client access sessions.

We have many PC printers connected to the AS/400 "through" a PC.
The 400 only "knows" the printer is there and connected when the PC is powered up and Windoze going.

Most of our PCs are connected through a non-400 Microsoft network that emulates a remote controller. A handful are twinax connected. These intermittent printer problems do not seem to discriminate between those kinds of connection. We also have PCs talking to the 400 through VPN. As far as I know, we have not yet tried to connect any of those PC printers to the 400 yet.

Some of these printers, and also some PCs, and dumb terminals, seem to intermittently lose their configuration settings, but we not know a pattern to associate with other activities on the system when this is happening. With the dumb terminals, we thought it was because that's what happens when that brand name (Lyncs no longer manufactured) getting close to the end of their lifespan. Typically the normal user of the afflicted connection switches to an alternate device when their connection becomes "messed up" (our users description for the phenomena), then IT learns of it somewhat later, without a time stamp on precisely when it quit functioning right.

If what Steve said is true in all cases, then you would expect config to get messed up any time someone powers off their PC or it has one of those Windoze hassles leading to need to shutdown / restart the Windoze. But our printer problems are as nothing compared to that rate.

I wonder if the problem is related to having stuff in the printer spool file, wanting to print, at the time of disconnection reconnection. There's some place you can set a device to automatically vary on with IPL.

We advise people to power off their PCs during the weekend to save electricity and PC life span. Our 400 does a power down for several wee hours of weekends, via GO POWER settings.

Steve wrote:
As far as I know, automatic configuration occurs under three basic
circumstances:

1) If you turn a device off and back on while the system is running
2) If you disconnect & reconnect a device while the system is running
2) Upon system IPL, if the device is turned on and connected to the system
and the system senses that the device description does not match the
"signature" that it senses from the actual device.

Regards,
Steve