No, they are the FTPS server and we are connecting to it to exchange data as a staging site.

I got the certificate from them now, and followed your instructions, other
than changing server to client for defining the CA trust list for the FTP
client.

It now shows under DCM as trusted (has a check mark by it), and the
associated Validate button shows it is valid and the view button shows what
I'd expect.

Okay, good.. I'm glad you were able to adapt to me giving you instructions for the server :)

However, the FTP client is still giving me the same -23 error, and under DCM when I select Client, it shows me 3 applications and the FTP client still shows "None assigned" under the Certificate Assigned column.

That's for a completely different kind of certificate. The "Certificate Assigned" (in the case of a client app) is for client authentication, which is very different from accepting a self-signed certificate.

However, taking the Define CA Trust List link does lead to the list where this certificate is checked as trusted.

Good.

Perhaps something needs to be restarted, but being a client instead of
server I wouldn't have thought that should be the case.  And what would I
restart?  All of TCP?

I wouldn't think you'd have to go that far, but who knows. I'd start with something simpler:

a) Sign off & back on. The FTP client may be saving it's SSL environment handle and re-using it from call to call, this would clear it.

b) If (A) doesn't work, try restarting the HTTP Admin server. This shouldn't be necessary (and doesn't make much sense) -- but back in the V4R5 days, it solved some problems for me.

If I follow the Update application definition in the left frame, then View
Certificate Authorities (CAs), it lists the certificate I imported.  I feel
like one of those "so close and yet so far" situations.

Yeah... hard to say what the issue is. Your config sounds correct to me.