<warning buzzwords comming>
I generally agree, but the HTML can be made into a much better application.
Look at the "Web 2.0" (Look a buzword!) movement and AJAX. People have been
writing web appliations that are so fast and good that you can't believe it
is a website. A good one is zimbra. It is a AJAX email application that runs
much like Outlook only better... and faster. While we all may agree that
green-screen will almost never be beat in speed, the web is becoming a
cooler place with technologies like this.

As far as data entry, you will always have data entry. I can't see you ever
getting rid of it in some form or fashion.