All that AJAX does it send less data back and forward from the terminal to the computer. It was developed in response to the slow reload of a full page. Sure, it makes the application faster, but you have to write the application properly to take advantage of that.

Our typical green screen response for speed issues was to shove MORE data on the screen and hope the user could understand the confusion. And then, we trained the users to ask for this "feature" again and again. I maintain that we have data entry only because green-screen programmers are ~not~ using new technologies. If we cannot get the most of them to use RSE, how will we get them to write applications that work faster with modern technology?

And of course, data entry in some form will always be required. But I suggest there is no longer a need for heads-down keying data entry in the 21st century. Other than responding to emails on forums like this!!

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Wills"
Subject: Re: Accounting Vendors

<warning buzzwords comming>
I generally agree, but the HTML can be made into a much better application.
Look at the "Web 2.0" (Look a buzword!) movement and AJAX. People have been
writing web appliations that are so fast and good that you can't believe it
is a website. A good one is zimbra. It is a AJAX email application that runs
much like Outlook only better... and faster. While we all may agree that
green-screen will almost never be beat in speed, the web is becoming a
cooler place with technologies like this.

As far as data entry, you will always have data entry. I can't see you ever
getting rid of it in some form or fashion.