Rob, and others who commented on my feedback:

1 - One more reason to use image catalogs instead of directly from the CD during the os upgrade!!!!!! Sucks to be halfway through the upgrade to find a bad CD. Use image catalog!!!
- I don't mean to argue about the pro's and con's. I, myself, was clearly for using image catalogs. I even did ask a question on this same forum about details on how to create/use them... I then created an image catalog to hold all CD's from Miocrocode to all LPP's. A second image catalog for Cumulative + DB and Hiper group PTF's... The first image catalog (13 CD's) took about 6GB of disk space. The PTF's one, about 4,5 GB !!! (almost as much as the full V5R3!!! Isn't this great?) Well since customer was about reaching limit of free disk space ... we decided to delet both Image Catalogs... We felt quite confident about CD's could be read without problems. This didn't turn out to be quite true! Well, the B600F103 error seems cannot be blamed to a readability problem. Whereas the error on the 5th PTF CD is clearly a read error where the CD had previously been read without problem when the image catalog was created! So...

2 - With two copies of the OS I'd carefully study the most important one: I_BASE_01. In small print near the top left you will see "LICENSED MACHINE CODE - RSx" where x is some letter. The higher the better. They started out with RSA. Our current highest is RSF. Some of the lower ones would blow chunks for sure if you were running Operations Console or some such thing. We've had our BP borrow our copy to upgrade clients who ordered their OS a year or so before upgrading only to find they were on an old RSx version that would not work for their particular setup.
Well, our 2 copies of CD's were just identical. As I mentioned before, we had checked with IBM Service (after first weekend trial of the upgrade) and both microcode CD's were "RSG" built. So absolutely identical.(BTW, you mention your highest are RSF ?) Why did the first copy produce B600F103? I'm afraid we'll never know, since after two try/goback weekends, the third trial (why we didn't think about it ?...) whith the other CD set did work... Obviously, customer will not go back (again) to V5R2 just to find out the reason for the error...

Well, as I mentioned before, just my 2 cents in case anybody else runs into similar situation...