From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ingvaldson, Scott
Sent: Thursday, November 03, 2005 8:55 AM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Is anyone using NFS?

When we first set this up about 2 years ago NFS gave us about a
three-fold performance increase over NetServer attached drives.  We have
been using the same (4.13) client this whole time.  Xlink says that this
is the "current" version.

What we are doing is converting metacode output from our mainframe to
pdf documents and then storing them on the iSeries using Content
Manager.  The conversion application, Xenos d2e, works fine when writing
pdf's to local drives but is painfully slow writing to NetServer
attached drives.  Before the V5R3 upgrade using NFS improved the
performance dramatically.  Now NFS is slower than NetServer.

What I'm really trying to figure out is what changed with the V5R3
upgrade.  As the application programmer says, "it worked before, why
doesn't it work now?"