I remember when installing WAS 5.1 it was recommended to install cume and
groups, install WAS 5.1, and then reapply the group.  Can't remember who
the original poster was on the thread, but it's pretty likely that at least
one or some of the PTFs involved will require an IPL.

             "Haase, Justin
             C."
             <justin.haase@Kin                                          To
             gland.com>                "Midrange Systems Technical
             Sent by:                  Discussion"
             midrange-l-bounce         <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx                                             cc

                                                                   Subject
             10/24/2005 02:02          RE: Installing Websphere Portal --
             PM                        IPL Required?

             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

Not sure if this still applies, but last I knew, the LPP (WAS 6, in this
case) had to be installed before you could install PTFs to it.

--
Justin C. Haase - iSeries System Administrator
IBM Certified Systems Expert - eServer i5