There are some ways to roll-your-own access to MS SQL Server from DB2.
Basically involve using a free JDBC connector.  I've not done it myself
but if you search the java400 archives you'll see stuff like
http://archive.midrange.com/java400-l/200308/msg00080.html

Craig Pelkie wrote an article on it in the July 2005 edition of iSeries
400 Experts Journal.
Sign in required (subscription required.  Gee, your boss can cough up $169
for a subscription, or he can pay an initial outlay and annual maintenance
costs for someone else's product).
http://www.iseries400experts.com/aej/article.jsp?article_id=43090&volume_id=5832

He communicates between the jdbc program and the RPG via data queues.
Avoids those messy class constructs or whatever they're called.

I find the magazine is quite good.  Much like many of the iSeries
magazines were of old before they dropped down to a bulk being product
reviews.