Thanks Jim.  Great info...

Not sure what Mike was trying to do with the iSeries connection in SQL EM but looks like you covered all the bases.

Wish it were as easy going the other way (iSeries connecting to to other DB's)...

Pete

Reinardy, James wrote:

Pete,

Just to expand on your other post below asking about uses for the linked
server beyond DTS, we use the link all the time to add DB2 data to SQL
queries.  We have a SQL data warehouse of data from our production ERP
on the iSeries, but we sometimes need data that is not warehoused.
Within a single SQL statement, you can submit a DB2 SQL statement and
use it like a table to join in SQL Server data. The primary limitation
is that the DB2 data has to come over to the SQL Server to be joined, so
you need to be careful about the size of the result set from DB2 that
you use.  Also, I believe the SQL query is submitted verbatim, which
will take advantage of indexes on the iSeries to pull the data, but the
result set will have no index on the SQL Server side.  Still, it is
great for pulling data from small code tables, or when criteria can be
used to limit the result set.  I also agree with you about DTS!

Jim Reinardy