On 9/22/05, David Delisi <daviddel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> First, let me just remind everyone that I work for Microsoft.
>
> I think this has been a really great discussion about moving 5250 to GUI
> and the different approaches that people have tried.
>
> As you may be aware of, Microsoft, in conjunction with a number of
> solutions from iSeries ISVs, launched the Midrange Alliance Program
> (www.microsoft.com\midrange) to show organizations how to use .NET
> technology in conjunction with an iSeries server.  If you go to this
> home page, you will see we now offer free hands on labs for over 2 dozen
> products, including Visual Basic (the current version as well as the new
> VB 2005 which is being launched in November), XML for Microsoft Office,
> SQL Server 2005 BI, and more.  You run the classes through browser.  It
> is a great way to explore different technologies from Microsoft without
> having to license or download any software.
>
> I think the VB one would be of most interest based on this discussion. I
> have worked with quite a few companies who built new front-ends for
> iSeries back-ends using Visual Basic.  You will also find a number of
> GUI builders which are supported by both Microsoft (via MAP) and IBM
> (via the iSeries Innovation program), such as look software, LANSA and
> ASNA.
>
> I hope this helps.
>

> David deLisi
> Microsoft Corporation

well, it is nice that MS has an interest in our platform, but it looks
to me that what is being offered is a better version of what is still
a problematic model.   The client/server environment is too slow and
offers no value add to the code running in the interactive subsystem
of the iSeries.

Now, if MS would offer its own version of client access, functionally
equivalent with the client access APIs but a lot of .NET value add,
that would be real progress!  What MS would have to do is provide its
own code that runs on the server side of the iSeries - that way
performance and functionality would have a chance of being improved.

While they are at it, tweaking of the interactive subsystem and 5250
data stream are in order.  Jobs running in the interactive system are
the heart of our system. Interactive code has to be able to spawn
processes that run on the PC as well as the server.  To do that you
need multi threaded programs and a 5250 data stream that allows the
programmer to send a new screen at any time [1].

-Steve

[1] -  currently when an interactive program is waiting for a user to
press the enter key, no other screens can be written to the display.
not very interactive!