Hi Rory,

I have a job which is run interactively which includes lots of file
copying to and from QTEMP. I would like to supress the (potentially
hundreds of) system-generated 'Copying member...' status messages from
appearing, but I would like to be able to send periodic status messages
of my own

In similar situations, I've done the following:

a) Use RTVJOBA STSMSG(&SAVEME) to retrieve what the user has this set to.

b) Use CHGJOB STSMSG(*NONE) -- this prevents the IBM messages from appearing.

c) When you want to send a status message, do a CHGJOB STSMSG(*NORMAL) before sending the message. Then change it back to *NONE when you're done.

d) At the end of the program (or in the error trapping routine) do a CHGJOB STSMSG(&SAVEME) to restore the user's original setting.

Good luck