I have a situation where calling qdcrevd does not work to return the actual pc ip address because the workstation is communicating with the iseries first through a local router which has dhcp and its own firewall and then across the internet to the iseries.

Do you mean NAT? DHCP wouldn't cause a problem for QDCRDEVD, but NAT would because it changes the IP address that the system receives.

The idea of NAT is to allow many people to share one address. Maybe you have 100 computers, but don't want to pay your ISP to give you 100 IP addresses, so you get one address from your ISP and you use NAT so that all requests from all computers appear to be coming from a single address.

In that scenario, no, there's no way to find out which PC issued the request. This information is maintained in a table inside the NAT server (an internal component of your router) but is not accessible to anyone else.

And, in any case, you can't usually connect back to the PC without configuring some mapping on the firewall (i.e. map port 8123 to computer1, map port 8124 to computer2, etc)