The first question I have is what PTF level were you on on V5R2?  This
would determine if you were using the "old query engine" or the "new query
engine".

The second thing I would note is that we had exceptional performance on
V5R3 on the old hardware (270), but have been experiencing intermittent
"sleeping sickness" on the 520.  It would seem to me that IBM was far too
hasty in smushing (a technical term) the iSeries into the pSeries

Al - on the way to Rochester

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

"i" comes before "p", "x" and "z"
e gads

Our system's had more names than Elizabeth Taylor!

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com
http://www.as400connection.com

             Nelson Smith
             <ncsmith@tampabay
             .rr.com>                                                   To
             Sent by:                  Midrange Systems Technical
             midrange-l-bounce         Discussion
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx            <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

             08/11/2005 08:46                                      Subject
             PM                        Re: Performance Issues on 570

             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

About a month ago, my company upgraded from an 870 to a 570.  We went
from 48G to 96G and more than doubled our disk capacity and increased
the number of arms from around 90 to 128. We went down in processors
from 12 to 11. Unfortunately, we also upgraded from V5R2 to V5R3 at the
same time (I know, I know).

After spending many hundreds of thousands of dollars, the sad result is
that some of our major batch processes have more than doubled in run
times.  For example, a 4-hour nightly billing run is now taking upwards
of 9 hours.  Needless to say, there is much knashing of teeth going on
around here and it is not a pleasant experience. It seems to be
primarily a batch problem.  Processor efficiency and interactive
response times seem to be improved.  During the batch runs, there seems
to be a great amount of paging going on.

Both the old system and the new one, have (had) a development partitian
and a production partition. Relative sizes have not changed.  There have
been no significant changes in database sizes or the applications. Both
Business Partner and IBM have had many engineers working on the problem
for a month now and of course, everyone is pointing fingers at everyone
else.  They have been running every sort of performance management tool
you can think of. They have tuned this and that. They have replace card
after card.  They have tried all sorts of caching schemes.  All to no
avail.

Lately, they are starting to point fingers at the applications.  Now I
grant you that our applications are old and could stand much
improvement, but they have not changed since before the upgrade.  We are
embarking on a modernation project in development, but we will not
implement any such improvements until the upgrade issues are settled.

The one question I have not been able to get a straight answer out of
any of these engineers, and the reason for this post, is what has been
the experience of other recent converts to the 570?  Or, what has been
the experience of other upgraders from V5R2 to V5R3? Particularly in
relation to long-running batch jobs.  I can't think of anything unique
in what we are running.  We have very little, if any, embedded SQL.
That's the only thing I've seen any complaints about on this list.  Has
anyone else going to a 570 experienced any sort of major slowdown?  At
this point, we are willing to look at anything.