On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 11:06:10 -0400
 "Dwight Hogancamp" <dhogancamp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Nathan Andelin said:
> >It seems to me that IBM has already granted a license
> >which is essentially equivalent to a copyright
> >(ability to make derivative works and distribute them
> >without restriction, other than a notice).
>
> >http://www-922.ibm.com/easy400p/easy400pos.html
>
> >So what would prevent any license holder from creating
> >an open source version, maintained by an open source
> >community?  Or, for that matter, a commercial version
> >- requiring payment for the derivative work?
>
> >Nathan Andelin
>

> The License IBM granted does not permit charging any
> money
> for products derived from this.
>
> Giovanni is asking IBM to release it to be supported by
> the open source community. I believe it will take a
> few days for them to have a meeting about it.
>
> He is communicating to the world through
> <Easy400Group@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> It will be interesting to see what their reation is to
> it.
>
> I don't think they have an interest in maintaining it, so
> I would
> take a burden off their back.
>

> Dwight HoganCamp

One would think it would be that easy.  But big corps like
IBM don't look at the product, usefulness to them,
marketability, etc.  If they hold a copyright, even their
bastard red-headed step child would be "protected".  (Not
that CGIDEV2 is that, just making a point).

Also, I just wanted to say that so that IBM would say
"they're saying we'll never do it.. let's prove them
wrong."

:)

Brad